We have all been in a situation where we could not hand in our homework for one reason or another. Hands all sweaty, heart beating fast, and your brain trying to make believable excuses to tell the teacher. There’s no doubt we felt anxious at those points, primarily because of impending consequences.
However, regardless of how hard we try, it’s not always easy to fool teachers; it’s not always easy. While students may be cunning, teachers are just as sharp. Some students may have a legit reason for missing their homework, but their excuses may not be convincing enough. Missing your homework is one offense but giving a mediocre excuse can be another.
In this article, we will talk about some good homework excuses. These excuses are convincing enough for your teacher to let you off without punishment.
How to avoid doing homework
Students, for some reason, may not want to attempt homework, either because they find it difficult, have a lot of work already, or just because they are lazy. Whatever the reason, there are things you can do if you want that teacher to give you a pass. They include:
- Get familiar with your teacher – you might not want to be the ‘teacher’s pet,’ but you have to stay on your teacher’s good side to achieve this feat. You can learn excuses for how to get out of doing homework, but if your teacher doesn’t like you, you will find it hard to convince them.
- Be honest – they say, “honesty is the best policy,” and it is often. For your teacher to give you a pass on that homework, all you have to do might be to tell the truth. If your genuine excuse sounds good enough to you, then take the shot and let your teacher know.
- Blame it on technology – we are in an era where technology is needed to complete your homework, most times. There is hardly any work given that you won’t need to surf the internet and teachers understand that. Giving an excuse that you have problems with your phone or laptop might be your saving grace.
- Visit a guidance counselor – talk to a counselor about how hard it is for you to keep up with schoolwork. The counselor will be inclined to visit your teacher and ask them to excuse you for a while.
- Visit the nurse’s office – to avoid that homework, you might have to fake being sick. You can visit the school nurse to complain about something and rest a while during or before the period. In missing the class, you now have a plausible excuse to give your teacher.
10 best excuses for not doing homework
Sometimes students who don’t find help with homework don’t bother to do it. That and many other reasons are why students don’t attempt their homework. If you are one of those students, there isn’t a need to worry. Below are some of the best homework excuses you can give your teacher that will convince them to let you off easily:
- Try to convince your teacher you had a family crisis. This excuse is good because your teacher will not ask further questions to avoid invading your privacy.
- Place the blame on your memory. You can explain that you forgot the deadline. Remember that saying you forgot you had homework might not work as this is a common excuse. Just say you thought the deadline was another day.
- Explain that you had difficulties with the assignment and gave up. It might lead the teacher to explain the homework further and release you without punishment.
- Again, honesty is always the best route to take. Always try to tell the truth.
- Blame your siblings. If you have any, your siblings might have to take the blame for this one.
- In cases where your homework is to be submitted online, you can explain that you were having trouble submitting it or accessing your teacher’s email.
- If you’re dealing with an oblivious teacher, you can tell them that you were not in class when the homework was given.
- You can say you forgot it at home or thought you packed it. It doesn’t mean you didn’t do it at all; it only implies that you are forgetful.
- Tell them your tutor forgot to return it after looking at it.
- You can blame sports, volunteer work, and other extracurricular activities for taking most of your time.
While giving these excuses, understand that you have to make them believable. No matter how good your reason is, if it doesn’t sound reasonable and you don’t sound confident, you’d be getting in a lot of trouble.